Sunday, June 21, 2009

LeakyCon '09 -- Best Week of My Life!

Yes, I know LeakyCon happened a month ago. I just found time to write this blog. Don't get your wands in a knot....

Anyway, did you know that it takes approximately 36 hours by car to get from my town in Montana to Boston, MA? For that matter, who would be insane enough to drive that far anyway?!

Well, I'm that insane because I did it last month to get to LeakyCon.

My family is anti-Harry Potter. They are pretty much close to how the Dursleys would be like in real life (on the subject of magic, that is --- no, I am not forced to live in a cupboard under our stairs). So, when I took this trip to LeakyCon, it was like leaving Privet Drive and arriving at Hogwarts for the very first time. The events of that week were just that magical.

To tell everything that went on there would take several weeks worth of blogs. So, I'll just try and touch on some of my favorite highlights.

First off was meeting my fellow Lily and Stag Inn staffers. I finally got to meet in person staff members I had only chatted with and worked over the internet with. It really was an amazing meeting, spouting Leaky Lounge names and putting the Lounge names with the real people. My fellow staff members there in the L&S Inn are some of the awesomest people in the world!! Not to mention that out of the 25+ staff members in that section of the forum, I'm the only guy. Yeah, it's a pretty good life. =D

Meeting the Pottercasters (Melissa, John, Sue, and Frak) in real life was simply amazing. Not only that, but I ended up staying in a suite right next to theirs (dubbed the "Leaky Suite"). Yeah, that was really, really cool.

Secondly, I participated in my first ever wizard rock concerts (or "wrock" as it is more commonly known as). The only wrock I had ever really heard before was the first Jingle Spells CD which I own. But, I found out that I really love wrock! I didn't think I would; didn't think it would be my style. But I'm so glad that I was wrong! It is amazing music (and Ministry of Magic is my favorite!).

Third, I met some of the coolest people on the face of this planet. I had no idea what to expect for this conference, but the Harry Potter fandom is one of the friendliest, most welcoming, most closeknit fandoms that I know of. I made some awesome friends and long-lasting memories. Where else could I go with a group of fellow staffers and throw tea in the St. Charles River (Boston Harbor was too far, unfortunately)? Where else could I dance the night away to wrock and "Total Eclipse of the Heart"?

Where else could I finally be myself?

Thank you, LeakyCon 2009, for everything. I'll see you in Orlando, FL, in 2011!!

4 comments:

  1. This blog makes me miss LeakyCon. Well said, Daniel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, I got chills when you said this was like leaving Privet Dr & arriving at Hogwarts...

    Speaking as a L&S so-staffer of yours, we are so glad to have you and you do a great job as bouncer :)

    Since were right across the public gardens from it I will steal their line and say, isnt it nice to have place where everybody knows your name AND they are always glad you came....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel, I'm so glad you could come and it's so sweet to hear how special it was for you. I hope you get a bit more freedom in Texas, and I'm so glad you're our only-male bouncer in the Inn.

    HOPEFULLY, I'll see you soon ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Not to mention that out of the 25+ staff members in that section of the forum, I'm the only guy. Yeah, it's a pretty good life. =D" - Hehe, too cute ;)

    ReplyDelete