Friday, July 24, 2009

Brain Control?

What happens when someone gives you a suggestion?

Well, several things take place. First, you take that suggestion and process it in your mind, judging it against values that you've already set up--decision parameters, so to speak. Some of these parameters might include who the person is (i.e. is it someone you trust), what suggestion exactly has been made, if there are any "hidden" meanings in that suggestion, etc. Secondly, you formulate a response based on how that suggestion matched up to your parameters. Oddly enough, even though we know how we want to respond, depending on who the person is, or even your own personality, you may second guess you decision and end up just agreeing with the initial suggestion.

And here's the kicker--against our own personal values we allows someone's suggestion to manipulate us into reforming our response to be in the affirmative even though we totally disagree with the suggestion.

Maybe this is just me. I have no psychology background; this is just what I've observed in my own life. Some of you may say "You're just not confident enough to stick up for what you feel is right". Others may say "You're too much of a people pleaser and want to feel accepted". And maybe this is all true. But at the same time, does it really account for the fact that someone is suggesting something over and over again just to make a point?

I don't like "forceful suggestions"--suggestions that make me feel like I'm making the wrong choice if I disagree.

Maybe it is just all in my head...

No comments:

Post a Comment